Bunker Roy’s “real” education started when after being educated in Doon School(1956-1962) and St Stephens College(1962-1967)-he dug open wells for drinking water as an unskilled labourer for 5 years (1967-1971).
Married Aruna(nee Jayaram) June 1970. No children
Indian National Squash Champion 1965, 1968 and 1971.
Started the Barefoot College in 1972. Following the life style and work style of Mahatma Gandhi.
Bunker Roy gave a TED talk at TED Global in Edinburgh in October 2011. 3.6 million viewers translated into 45 languages.
AWARDS & HONORS (2015)
1. The Schwab Foundation for Outstanding Social Entrepreneurs, World Economic Forum Davos Switzerland September 2002:
2. The Stockholm Challenge Award for Information Technology (Category Environment) Stockholm Sweden October 2002:
3. The World Technology Award for Social Entrepreneurship, World Technology Network New York 2002
4. Tech Museum For Innovation Benefiting Humanity California November 2002:
5. St Andrews Prize for the Environment, Scotland May 2003:
6. The Ashden Award for Sustainable Energy London July 2003;
7. Tyler Prize April 2004 California USA:
8. The Skoll Foundation 2005:
9. US $ 1 million ALCAN Award for Sustainability 2006:
10. The Guardian London. 5th January 2008 identified Bunker Roy as one of the 50 Environmentalists in the world who could save the planet.
11. TIME April 2010. One of the 100 most influential people in the world.
12. Blue Planet Prize Japan November 2011
13. CNN IBN Real Heroes Lifetime Achievement Award 2013
14. Clinton Global Citizen Award New York September 2013
15 . Hon. Degree Bachelor of Law Princeton University June 2017
(First Indian to receive this award in 40 years)
25 ILEA Leadership Energy Award Kuala Lumpur Malaysia November 2017