Department: Analysis and Insight (AI)
Employment Status: Full-time Employee
Start Date: February 2018
Location: Palo Alto, California
About the Skoll Foundation
The Skoll Foundation was created by Jeff Skoll in 1999 to pursue his vision of a more peaceful, prosperous, and sustainable world. The mission of the Skoll Foundation is to drive large-scale change by investing in, connecting and celebrating social entrepreneurs and the innovators who help them solve the world’s most pressing problems. Social entrepreneurs are society’s change agents—creators of innovations that disrupt the status quo and transform our world for the better. By identifying the people and programs already enacting positive change throughout the world, the Foundation empowers them to extend their reach, deepen their impact, and fundamentally improve society.
The Skoll Foundation is committed to deploying its resources guided by a rich understanding of grantees, ecosystems and our own capabilities. We develop this understanding by asking pertinent questions, articulating and testing the relevant hypothesis, and reflecting and acting on what we observe. We embrace these practices as core capabilities which enable our ability to prove our thesis that social entrepreneurs are vital catalysts for positive change in the world. Developing and embedding these disciplines in our culture and operations is the domain of the Director, Analysis and Insight (A&I).
The A&I Director leads a team of three professionals and reports to the Chief Operating Officer. The A&I team coordinates and collaborates closely with staff across the Foundation, with grantees, funders and others to generate functional and pertinent analyses and insights. The Director is a thought leader and partner, who at the same time is results-driven producer and process manager. The A&I team are our champions for linking analysis and learning to strategy and actions.
- Lead the ongoing design and implementation of Foundation’s strategies and systems for assessing the effectiveness of our choices across portfolios of social entrepreneurs, partnerships and Foundation sponsored programs.
- Steward and lead the Foundation’s strategy and systems for researching and applying knowledge of relevant ecosystems and networks.
- Working closely with Skoll staff and grantees, recommend, negotiate, and track indicators of progress and impact associated with grants, investments and operating programs.
- Analyze, synthesize and communicate agreed upon indicators of progress and learning using a variety of formats crafted for the audience and purpose.
- Identify and manage third parties who may be requested to assist with evaluation and research projects.
- Serve as advocate and role-model for evidence based learning and decision making across the organization and beyond, assessing our progress toward evidence-based accountability.
- Serve as a primary contributor to organization planning and performance assessment processes, improving alignment, accountability and outcomes.
Skills and Characteristics
- An expert in evaluation and research methodologies.
- Ability to operationalize complex concepts efficiently and effectively, understanding and serving the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Experienced and successful manager of people and processes.
- Ability to identify, gather, structure and analyze quantitative and qualitative data; draw insights and communicate actionable recommendations.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills. Comfortable and effective in deliberation and logical examination dialogue. Excellent listening skills.
- Effective influencer, with ability to articulate a clear and compelling narrative that conveys the factors and relationships worthy of attention, further investigation and investment.
- Collaborative team contributor and leader. Thrives in multi-functional team environment. Strong service orientation.
Education and Experience
- Masters degrees in economics, statistics, social or physical science or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Eight or more years of experience, with increasing responsibility, evaluating the effectiveness of social and/or business interventions and investments.
- Significant track record of advocating for and instilling the use of agreed upon evidence, both quantitative and qualitative, to track progress and in senior- level decision processes.
- Significant track record of applying analytical frameworks to determine success of real-world efforts. Expectation that this experience is grounded in skilled application of appropriate analytical methodologies from mathematics, economics, the social or physical sciences.
- Cross-sector experience valued (e.g. for-profit, non-profit, public policy or service.)
- Excellent knowledge of social change theories and approaches, particularly social entrepreneurship.
- The Skoll Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We are actively seeking a diversity of experience and perspectives and are committed to maintaining an inclusive workplace where all individuals can thrive.
- Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify Director, Analysis and Insight in the message subject line. In your cover letter please tell us how your specific experiences and accomplishments match our needs and mission. We will contact qualified applicants. Deadline for submission is December 8, 2017.